The Cheval Burger
The 30th of May marked the colleague friends and family preview weekend at the brand new Cheval Harrington Court. In one such apartment a first of another kind was taking place, the birth of the ‘Cheval Burger’. So for the perfect weekend, here’s the perfect recipe.
For the atmosphere:
- Grab some good company
- Uncork a bottle of liquid refreshment
- Get cooking!
500g Dry Aged Beef cuts (combination of chuck, rump cap, clod and sticking, thick flank and brisket)
100g Bone Marrow
Bunch of flat leaf parsley, picked off its stalks and roughly chopped
4 Brioche burger buns
4 slices smoked mature cheddar cheese
2 Beef Tomatoes, sliced (preferably on the vine)
4 rashers smoked streaky bacon
1 Baby cos lettuce
- Ask your local butcher to coarsely mince the beef cuts with the bone marrow, or fat.
- Divide the raw burger mix into 4 and shape into patties, pushing a small hollow in the centre of each to prevent doming when cooking. Leave in the fridge to firm up.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle pan until smoking hot, lay the burgers on the griddle and cook for two minutes on either side, or until slightly charred.
- Leave to rest on a warm plate whilst you crisp the bacon and split and toast the inside of the buns.
250g ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 red onion, finely diced
100g caster sugar
1 red chilli, sliced thinly into rings
12 cornichons, finely diced
100ml organic red wine vinegar
Pinch ground ginger, or dessert spoon of ginger syrup
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1-2 Tbsp Mustard seeds
- Add all the relish ingredients in a pan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 40 minutes or until the relish has thickened.
- Store in sterilised jars when slightly cooled
- Spread mayonnaise on bottom bun and home-made burger relish on the top bun
- Next lay a cos lettuce leaf and a slice of beef tomato on the bottom bun
- Place the burger on the tomato slice and top with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon
- Place the lid on the burger and secure the whole thing by pushing a bamboo skewer through the centre of the top bun right to the base.
Recommended by Cheval Residences - Serviced Apartments London
To know the best of London, follow us in twitter.